Data tape drives have been in unstoppable use of commercial data protection and data backups for more than six decades now. Data tapes also tend to have more lifetimes in comparison to hard disks or other data storage options. Therefore in recent era, it is essential and critical to clean your LTO Ultrium storage cartridge tape after a while, in order to, enhance the efficiency and to ensure the appropriate working of your LTO Ultrium tape drive.
We will now be discussing the important guidelines that you should adhere by during the cleaning process of LTO tape:
- Clean your LTO Ultrium storage cartridge tape when it gives you the indication on display for cleaning
- Periodic cleaning is not recommended. Clean only when the drive itself indicates you to do so
- Always refer to the documentation of your tape drive in order to know more about the cleaning methods and time periods. They are usually mentioned in to those documents
- Preferably clean your LTO Ultrium data storage cartridge by using the LTO cleaning cartridges of the same manufacturer
- Do not use self developed methods of cleaning LTO Ultrium tape drives else you might have to face serious concerns with the stored data
- Do not use cleaning cartridges for performing more than 50 cleaning cycles
- Give power to the tape first in order to insert in the cleaning cartridge and then, run the cleaning cycle
- Ensure that your LTO Ultrium data storage cartridge has been cleaned, in the end.
Recapitulating, it is always important to use LTO cleaning cartridges to keep all generations of LTO Ultrium storage cartridge tape clean and intact. If you do not pay heed to the cleaning of your LTO ultrium tape drive then you can possibly face serious issues with the performance of your data storage, data backup and archiving process. What are the other guidelines that you should consider while cleaning the LTO drives? We will get to know about them with time due to the advancement in tape drive and cleaning cartridge technology .